Australia's universities make a strong contribution to Australia's economic prosperity and social well being.
- Universities have more than one million enrolled students.
- Universities employ over 100,000 staff.
- International education is Australia’s largest service export
- Universities are significant contributors to their local communities by providing local employment opportunities, research, industry collaboration, building vital infrastructure and through local community and sporting grants.
- Australia’s regional universities play a vital role in supporting regional economies.
- University research stimulates innovation and delivers solutions to the economic, social and demographic challenges facing the nation.
- The rate of return on publicly-funded research is generally between 20 and 60 per cent.
A range of statistics related to our student and staff demographic, graduate outcomes, research, and internationalisation activities is included in Universities Australia's data snapshot.