MITACS Globalink Research Internship (CANADA)
The Globalink Research Internship (GRI) allows Australian undergraduate students to participate in a 12-week research internship at Canadian universities. This internship program provides Australian students with professional skills training and valuable knowledge about Canadian industry and innovation.
The GRI was developed following the signing of an agreement in 2015 between Universities Australia and Mitacs, a national, not-for-profit organization that has designed and delivered research and training programs in Canada for 20 years. Mitacs works with 60 Canadian universities, 4,000 companies, and both federal and provincial governments, to build partnerships that support industrial and social innovation in Canada.
The competitive initiative is available to undergraduate students from Australia, Brazil, China, France, India, Mexico, Germany, Tunisia and Vietnam.
Interns interested in returning to Canada for graduate studies may be eligible for a Globalink Graduate Fellowship.
How to apply
Applications for the 2019 application round (funding to commence in 2020) will open in mid-2019.
Visit Mitacs for further information.
From 2018, Australian students from the following universities will be eligible to apply:
- The University of Sydney
- Western Sydney University
- Queensland University of Technology (QUT)
- Griffith University
- Deakin University
- The University of Newcastle
- La Trobe University
Eligible students must:
- have completed at least two years (four semesters full-time basis) of an undergraduate degree in an eligible Australian university;
- have a minimum grade average of 75 per cent (‘distinction’, or equivalent);
- have confirmation from their home institution that a contribution of CAD$4,000 for participation in this initiative will be made should the student be accepted in to the program;
- be able to spend 12 weeks at a university in Canada from May to October on a research project related to their area of interest and expertise; and
- demonstrate oral and written fluency in English or French, depending on the primary language of the project as indicated by the host professor.
Students interested in applying should direct initial enquiries to the relevant staff member at the institutions listed below.
|Name of University||Staff contact||Phone|
|Western Sydney University||Isis Kowaliauskas||02 9685 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|The University of Sydney||Fiona White||02 8627 email@example.com|
|Deakin University||Brianna Watt||03 5227 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|Griffith University||Rebecca Cozens||07 5552 email@example.com |
|Queensland University of Technology (QUT)||Hayley McNeel||07 3138 firstname.lastname@example.org |
|The University of Newcastle|
|Djoeke van Loon||02 4921 email@example.com|
|RMIT||Anielle Leung||03 9925 firstname.lastname@example.org|
|La Trobe University||Wendy Martinec||03 9479 email@example.com|
Download student profiles
For all other enquiries contact:
Ms Grace Fox
Policy Officer – International and Programs
Ph: +61 2 6285 8115