Universities are currently implementing the key guiding principles established by the Indigenous Cultural Competency in Australian Universities Best Practice Framework. This Framework was created through a project undertaken by Universities Australia and the Indigenous Higher Education Advisory Council with funding provided by the Department of Education, Employment and Workplace Relations. The five key guiding principles of the Framework are:
- Indigenous people should be actively involved in university governance and management.
- All graduates of Australian universities will have the knowledge and skills necessary to interact in a culturally competent way with Indigenous communities.
- University research will be conducted in a culturally competent way in partnership with Indigenous participants.
- Indigenous staffing will be increased at all appointment levels and, for academic staff, across a wider variety of academic fields.
- Universities will operate in partnership with their Indigenous communities and will help disseminate culturally competent practices to the wider community.